Gratin is like a creamy version of mac and cheese. You can taste great combination of macaroni covered with rich white sauce and melting cheese.
You can of course use macaroni for Japanese style gratin, but I would like to introduce “creative” gratin recipe today.
I use tofu instead of macaroni this time. It’s lower calorie as you can imagine… and still it tastes fantastic with fluffy texture!
Another important part of gratin is white sauce, and this is the successful way to use miso paste.
I was really impressed by this extremely delicious white sauce made with miso paste!!
Please enjoy healthy creamy gratin for your happy day!
【Recipe (2 servings)】
7 oz tofu
3 oz onion, Shredded
1 oz broccoli, Cut into bite-sized
1 oz bacon, Thinly sliced
2 oz cheese
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons miso paste (shinshu koji miso paste)
1.5 teaspoons parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon flour
1/3 teaspoon salt
0.5 cup (100ml) milk
1. Wrap tofu with a paper towel and warm up it for 2 min in a microwave.
2. Throw away the water from tofu, and change the paper towel to the new one. Lightly weight the tofu down, leave it for 20 min then drain.
3. (Preheat oven to 400 F in advance). Saute onion and bacon with oil in a pan until onion is brown. Take them out from the pan.
4. Melt butter in a pan, and add 1 teaspoon flour. Stir well on low heat making sure there is no lump of flour.
5. Add milk little by little and stir well on low heat.
6. Add miso paste and salt, and stir well again. Simmer a little then it becomes white sauce for gratin.
7. Add sauteed onion and bacon. Mix white sauce with them.
8. Put drained tofu in gratin dish by tearing tofu with your hands.
9. Put white sauce with onion and bacon on top of tofu.
10. Put cheese and broccoli on top of white sauce. Sprinkle parmesan cheese finally. Bake gratin in a oven for 10-15 min.
Ready to eat!