Have you ever eaten INARI-ZUSHI which is made of thin deep-fried tofu stuffed with rice?
I guess normal sushi (maybe California roll is more) is very well known in the world, but not for INARI-ZUSHI…
For sure, the juicy thin deep-fried tofu flavored with salty-sweet sauce is extremely tasty, and it matches perfect with vinegary rice!!
Since the recipe of INARI-ZUSHI is very easy, I hope more people will try this recipe at home!
Generally miso paste is not “must” item for INARI-ZUSHI, however, I highly recommend to use miso paste together.
The combination of deep-fried tofu and miso paste is crucial! (maybe it’s because they both made from soy bean).
Please enjoy the best Japanese SUSHI recipe!
【Recipe (2 servings)】
2 oz (3 sheets) thin deep-fried tofu
Water for parboiling thin deep-fried tofu
●2 tablespoons water
●2 tablespoons sugar
●1 tablespoon sweet sake (mirin)
●1 tablespoon sake (or white wine)
●2 teaspoons miso paste
●2 teaspoons soy sauce
For vinegary rice
12 oz steamed rice
▲2 tablespoons sugar
▲2 tablespoons vinegar
▲2/3 teaspoon salt
1-2 teaspoons white sesame (if you have)
1. In advance, parboil thin deep-fried tofu and drain them well. By doing this, they can soak up a lot of flavor.
2. Cool them down for a while, and cut thin deep-fried tofu into half. Make sure each piece has a pocket for the rice. (If you can’t open the pouch easier, roll a rolling pin over fried tofu before opening).
3. Mix all of ● seasonings in a saucepan. Heat the pan on low heat, and add thin deep-fried tofu.
4. Simmer it for about 5 min until reduced.
5. Let it rest overnight in fridge. (If you don’t have time, just cool it down well).
6. To make vinegary rice, prepare the vinegar sauce by mixing all of ▲seasonings.
7. Add vinegar sauce to steamed rice little by little while stirring. Add sesame too.
8. Let the vinegary rice rest for a while (should be 30 min to 1 hour). It’s better to take them out of the mixing bowl and make them flat while resting.
9. Make small rice balls, and put them into the flavored thin deep-fried tofu.
10. Fold up the upper part of fried tofu.
Ready to eat!