Have you heard of Saikyo yaki?
Saikyo yaki is a grilled fish marinated with Saikyo miso sauce.
The sauce is made from Saikyo miso, mirin (sweet sake), sake, and a little bit of sugar. It’s very simple sauce but gives amazing flavor of Saikyo miso to the fish.
Saikyo miso is very unique miso which is categorized as white miso. The feature of the miso is that it has sweet taste and condensed mellow fragrance of characteristic koji rice.
Know more about Saikyo miso is here: What Is SAIKYO MISO and How Is It Used?
In Japan, we often use Spanish mackerel (Sawara in Japanese) or black cod for Saikyo yaki. Also salmon is one of the best fish for it.
Please try this very easy and excellent taste of MISO SALMON!!
【Recipe (2-3 servings)】
9-10 oz (250-280g) salmon, Cut into 2-3 slices
A pinch of salt
For sauce [Using Saikyo miso]
● 5 tablespoons Saikyo miso
● 2 tablespoons sake (white wine)
● 1 tablespoon mirin (sweet sake)
● 1 teaspoon sugar
● 1 teaspoon soy sauce
What is a substitute for Saikyo Miso?
If you are not able to buy Saikyo miso, please find other miso called white miso. But please choose white miso with low sodium (Its salinity should be about 5%, Sodium: 354mg /1 Tbsp [18g].)
If you are not able to buy white miso either, salty miso can be substitute for it. If you use salty miso (typical rice miso), please refer to below.
For sauce [Using salty miso]
○ 5 tablespoons miso
○ 1 tablespoon sake (white wine)
○ 2 tablespoons mirin (sweet sake)
○ 1 tablespoon sugar
○ 1 teaspoon soy sauce
1. Sprinkle a pinch of salt on both sides of sliced salmon.
2. After 5 min pat dry with paper towel.
3. Mix all of ● seasonings in a bowl to make Saikyo miso sauce.
4. Pour miso sauce in a deep shape container, and put salmon. Cover salmon with the sauce well.
5. Refrigerate and let marinate at least 30 min. It’s better to marinate a half day to a day if you have time. (I did for a day.)
6. Pat dry with paper towel in order to get rid of extra water and sauce. If extra sauce is on the surface of salmon, it causes burning.
7. Grill miso salmon. I recommend to put baking paper on the frying pan before putting salmon.
8. Cook for 5-7 min on low heat to prevent burning. Don’t forget to put lid on.
9. Turn over the salmon, and cook for another 5 min on low heat.
Ready to eat!