Have you ever wanted to make more crispy tempura at home?
Making proper tempura batter and frying tempura well at home could be difficult.
But, as long as you follow this recipe, you can make the most crispy and crunchy DELICIOUS tempura.
I used carrot mainly and a little onion (kakiage), but you can use your favorite vegetables or seafood.
Even people who have never made it can easily do it!!
Ingredients (for 2 servings)
・4.6 oz (130g) Carrot
・2.5 oz (70g) Onion
・4 tablespoon All-purpose flour
・2 tablespoon Potato starch*
・4 tablespoon Water
・1/3 teaspoon Salt
*If you don’t have potato starch, substitute corn starch or you can use only all-purpose flour.
You can make about 10 carrot kakiage (tempura) with this recipe.
1. Cut carrot and onion into fine strips.
2. Put the vegetable into a bowl.
3. Pour water, all-purpose flour, potato starch, and salt. Mix well.
4. Prepare about 0.4 inch (1cm) of oil in a pan, and heat on strong medium heat. Put the 1 drop of batter in oil to check the temperature. It’s ready when it comes to the surface immediately.
5. Grab the bite-sized vegetable with chopsticks and put it in the pan. Use chopsticks to make a space like a small hole in each tempura. By doing so, it will be very crunchy and crispy.
6. Fry for about 5 to 6 minutes on medium heat. Do not touch tempura as much as possible. If the edge of carrot is a little burnt, turn it over.
7. Fry the other side for about 2 minutes on medium heat. When it becomes crunchy, remove from the pan and drain the oil well.
Ready to eat!