Shio koji (塩麹), salted rice malt is made by aging and fermenting a mixture of koji rice, salt, and water.
Koji rice is made from steamed rice and koji mold, and because of this, shio koji can bring out flavor (umami) from ingredients.
Shio koji has basically salty taste, but the salinity is 1/4 of normal salt. And it has very mild and unique flavor come from koji rice.
Most importantly it not only works as great seasoning for all kinds of dishes but it also makes the meat (or fish) soft.
Shio Koji Karaage is the best dish that you can know about this wonderful seasoning. It makes karaage very savory, juicy, and it’s just SO DELICIOUS!
If you are interested in learning more about shio koji, please check this post:
【Recipe for Shio Koji Karaage】
Ingredients (2-3 servings)
9-10 oz (250-280g) chicken leg
● 3 tablespoons shio koji (salted rice malt)
● 1 tablespoon sake (white wine)
● 1 teaspoon grated garlic
● 1 teaspoon grated ginger
5-7 tablespoons potato starch
Plenty of oil for deep-frying
1. Prepare some storage container, and put all of ● seasonings. Stir a little.
2. Cut the chicken leg into bite-sized, and put them into the bag (or container).
3. Put it in the refrigerator for at least 30 min (half a day if possible) in order to marinate well.
4. When you are ready to deep-fry the chicken, prepare a beaten egg.
5. Cover the marinated chicken with beaten egg well.
6. Put potato starch, and stir well.
7. Deep-fry chicken in the oil of 320°F (160℃) for 4-5 min.
8. Rest them for 5 min on the bat.
9. Turn up the temperature to 374°F (190℃), and deep-fry again for 1-2 min.
Ready to eat!
Another scrumptious karaage recipe is here:
CRISPY MISO FRIED CHICKEN (Karaage) RECIPE
This is seriously delicious miso flavor karaage!