Shirodashi is extremely useful ingredient that can upgrade various Japanese cuisine.
It’s made from salt, sugar, soy sauce, and various types of dashi (soup stock).
If you can’t find any of this, here is the best recipe that you can easily reproduce shirodashi at home!
Ingredients (for 400ml Shirodashi)
Dashi (soup stock)
・3 inches (8cm) Dried kombu (kelp)
・0.3 oz (10g) Dried bonito shavings
・2.5 cups (600ml) Water
・0.2 cup (50ml) Sake
・0.4 cup (100ml) Mirin
・1 tablespoon Soy sauce
・1 tablespoon Salt
1.Cut dried kombu into 0.7-1.1 inches width.Put water and kombu in a pot and soak for about 1 hour.
2. Put the pot on low heat. Take out the kombu just before the water boils.
3.Boil the water without kombu. After that, turn off the heat and add dried bonito shavings.
4. Leave for about 5-6 minutes until the dried bonito sinks.
5. Strain the broth with a colander covered with paper towel.
6. Prepare the mixture of sake and mirin in another pot. Boil over medium heat for about 2 minutes to remove alcohol.
7. Add dashi (5), soy sauce, and salt. Bring to a boil.
Ready to use!
・If the dried kombu is dirty, wipe it off with a dry cloth.
・Please dilute to your liking when using for cooking.
・Please refrigerate in a clean storage bottle etc, and it can be used for 1 week to 1 month.