When it comes to dango in Japan, I think the most famous flavor is mitarashi which is made from soy sauce and sugar.
Mitarashi-dango is very tasty because of the savory sweet-salty sauce. But why don’t you try other flavor of dango this time?
Here, I would like to share 5 new types of dango which are extremely easy to make.
Please enjoy various scrumptious dango, and find your favorite one!
Normal dango (9 balls)
・2.8 oz (80g) Shiratamako (or mochiko)
・2.3 oz (65g) Water
Matcha dango (6 balls)
・1.7 oz (50g) Shiratamako (or mochiko)
・1.4 oz (40g) Water
・1 tsp of Matcha powder
Kabocha squash dango (4-5 balls)
・1 oz (30g) Shiratamako (or mochiko)
・0.9 oz (25g) Water
・0.6 oz (18g) Kabocha squash paste
・Sweet red bean paste (Use as it is.)
Matcha flavored bean paste
・Sweet white bean paste
Lemon flavored bean paste
・Sweet white bean paste
・Kinako (roasted soybean powder)
・A pinch of Salt
*Kinako and sugar should be mixed at a ratio of 2:1.
1. Cut the kabocha squash into bite-sized, and remove the skin. Microwave it for 4-5 minutes, and mash the cooked squash using fork.
2. Mix shiratamako (or mochiko) with water. Knead until the dough becomes as soft as an earlobe. Roll the dough with the palm of your hand. Make a ball with 0.5 oz (15g) as a guide. For matcha dango, please mix the dough with matcha powder. For kabocha squash dango, please mix the dough with mashed kabocha squash you made in step .
3. Bring the water to a boil in a pot. Cook the dango for few minutes.
4. Dango is ready when they float. Lift them from the pot, and rest them in a bowl of cold water to get rid of slimy texture.
5. If you have skewers, put the dango on the skewers (3 dango per one).
6. Make matcha flavored bean paste by mixing sweet white bean paste with matcha powder.
7. Make lemon flavored bean paste by mixing sweet white bean paste with lemon juice.
8. Make kinako powder by mixing roasted soybean powder with sugar and a pinch of salt.
9. Put 3 types of sweet bean paste in a piping bag separately, and start piping!
White dango1: Pipe small stars of the matcha bean paste.
White dango2: Pipe small stars of the lemon bean paste. Put small piece of cut lemon.
White dango3: Apply the kinako powder to each dango.
Matcha dango: Pipe small stars of the sweet red bean paste.
Kabocha squash dango: Just eat it as it is.
Ready to eat!