Have you ever tasted Japanese fried chicken called “Karaage” ?
The taste is very similar to fried chicken as you know but its flavor is unique in Japan.
In general Japanese fried chicken is flavored with soy sauce, sake, ginger and so on.
The recipe varies according to regions or homes, and I like to use a lot of seasonings so that the taste become so strong and delicious.
I guess soy sauce based flavor is the most popular in Japan, but actually adding miso paste makes karaage even better indeed!
I will let you know my secret recipe for super delicious fried chicken today.
【Recipe (2 servings)】
9 oz chicken leg, Cut into 1.5 inches square pieces
1 oz green onion, Shredded
2 oz potato starch (or corn starch)
1 tablespoon miso paste (fermented soybean paste)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon sake (or white wine)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon Chinese chili bean sauce
1 teaspoon ground garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt-marinated rice malt (if you have)
1. Mix up all of seasonings except potato starch.
2. Prick chicken with a fork so that mixed sauce can be absorbed well.
3. Preserve chicken in mixed sauce for at least 20 min (if you have time, please take few hours).
4. Cover chicken with potato starch.
5. Deep-fry chicken. I recommend to take 2 min for deep-frying, then give a rest for 5 min. Finally back chicken to oil and deep-fry again for 2 min.
(Deep-fry shredded green onion too and put them on top of fried chicken when you serve).
Ready to eat!