Do you eat new onion in your country?
Onion is one of the most useful vegetable for me so I buy onions a lot for my cooking. Usually I buy normal onions but I got a good opportunity to try seasonal great vegetable: NEW ONION!
Until now I haven’t known about this… but I learned that new onion is the same kind of vegetable as normal onion.
I thought the KIND is different but actually “the timing of shipping” is different.
New onion is shipped right after it’s harvested. In order to keep long shelf life, normal onion is dried for about one month before it’s shipped. However new onion don’t have to wait the drying time. So its skin is thinner, and it has not so pungent taste but mild taste!
Because it has nice and softer texture than normal onion, salad with new onion is good choice. But let’s check the taste of miso soup with new onion!
【Recipe (2 servings)】
1 oz miso paste (fermented soybean paste)*1
1 teaspoon dashi granules*2
1 new onion
1 teaspoon butter
1.3 cups (300ml) water
0.4 cups(100ml) milk
*1 Feel free to adjust the amounts of miso paste to your liking.
*2 If miso paste already contains dashi, don’t need dashi granules.
1. Wrap new onion with plastic wrap and warm up it in microwave for 5 min.
2. Cut onion into bite-sized and saute them with butter.
3. Boil water for miso soup.
4. Add dashi granules and milk, warm up milk for a little then remove from heat.
5. Add miso paste and stir until miso is completely melted. Put sauteed onion into bowl and pour miso soup. Sprinkle parsley ad black pepper as your liking.
Ready to eat!
I had leftover white miso from “tasting project” so I wanted to mix it with milk sometime.
White miso doesn’t disturb the white color of milk so it became the most beautiful soup with milk!
As you can imagine, heated new onion is tremendously soft and sweet. Slight butter flavor makes miso soup even more amazing. Please feel this great combination of new onion and milk miso soup.
Enjoy your miso soup!