Have you ever eaten TACO RICE in Japan…!?
Taco rice is literally the mix dish of taco and rice, and I’ve heard that it was created many years ago at some restaurant in Okinawa, Japan.
Now you can taste taco rice all over Japan especially at Okinawan restaurants. I think it became more popular Mexican-style dish rather than tacos.
For me, taco rice was one of my favorite lunch menu that I used to buy at food truck near my workplace.
Actually, you can see many of taco rice food truck in business district of Tokyo.
The taste of taco rice completely varies for each place (restaurant/lunch truck).
They have own style of salsa sauce, taco meat, toppings, etc…
Since I can’t have an opportunity to eat my favorite one these days, I just created my own recipe using miso paste.
Although the appearance of my taco rice is developing still (haha), the taste is absolutely great!!!
How about making Japanese TACO RICE for your happy weekend…!
【Recipe (2 servings)】
11 oz steamed saffron rice (or white rice)
4.5 oz cabbage, Shredded
2 soft boiled eggs
cheddar cheese (as much as you want)
For taco meat
4.5 oz ground beef
1/2 teaspoon grated garlic
●1 tablespoon ketchup
●1 tablespoon sake (or white wine)
●2 teaspoons sugar
●1 teaspoon allspice
●1 teaspoon miso paste
●1 teaspoon soy sauce
●1 teaspoon Japanese Worcestershire-style sauce (if you have one)
●1/2 teaspoon chili powder
●1/2 teaspoon chicken stock granule (cube)
For salsa sauce
■8 oz tomato, Diced
■1.5 oz onion, Minced
■1-2 tablespoons coriander, Minced
■A pinch of salt
For topping sauce (2nd pic)
▲4 tablespoons ketchup
▲1 teaspoon chili powder
▲1 teaspoon sugar
▲1/2 teaspoon grated garlic
▲1/2 teaspoon chicken stock granule (cube)
red pepper (as much as you want)
1. Stir-fry beef with grated garlic in a pan.
2. Add all of ● seasonings to the pan, and stir well until the meat is cooked through.
3. Make salsa sauce by mixing all of ■ in a bowl.
4. Make topping sauce by mixing all of ▲ in a bowl. Add red pepper if you like hot sauce.
5. Dish up steamed rice on a plate, and sprinkle cheddar cheese. Then put taco meat next.
6. Put cabbage, salsa sauce, topping sauce, and boiled egg. Add mayonnaise to your liking.
Ready to eat!